So, here’s the deal. I have a lot of friends in real life and online. Some I know personally really well. Some I don’t know other than blips on my computer screen. But if anyone aside from close, personal family and a few others thinks they REALLY know me, they probably don’t know the entire story… Until now.
Take some time to read my first truly longform piece in which I open up completely about my struggle with ten years plus of anxiety disorder, OCD, etc. It’s the most personal thing I’ve ever written and I’m honestly tearing up a bit reading it on the screen again now.
If you like it, please share it. If you too suffer from anxiety and want to chat, I’ll always have both ears open.
Thanks, everyone, for being my friends both offline and on. ♥ you all.
Winter is coming… And if you want to be ready for the second season premiere of Game of Thrones on HBO, you need to be all caught up on season one. I happen to have an extra Blu-ray copy of Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season so I thought it might be fun to give it to one of my lucky readers!
Here’s how you can enter to win:
2) Open to US and Canada residents only.
3) Contest will run until 12:01 am Tuesday morning (March 6). I will randomly select a winner on Tuesday and ship the Blu-ray out on the same day.
4) Up to three entries for each individual only. You can enter three times by “Liking” the article, Tweeting the article, and Retweeting. See below details.
How to Enter
2) Either “Like” it on Facebook or “Tweet” it from that article page.
3) Leave a comment on this post saying you’ve done one or the other (or both!).
Another Way to Enter
1) You can also enter by Retweeting this tweet.
Wow! It’s been a long time since I updated my blog. I figured a quick update might be good to get everyone caught up on where they can see some of my recent work. I’ve been doing a lot of freelance writing and the fruits of my labor have been popping up all over the Interwebs. Hope you dig it!
- All my “Raising a Cinephile” columns are archived here.
- The Weirdest Gifts Given in Movies… That You Can Now Own
- Ten Perfect Pumpkins in Movies
- Five Climactic Disaster Movies To Help You Prepare for Hurricane Irene
- UFC 141 Preview: Five Things Brock Lesnar Needs To Do To Beat Alistair Overeem
- The Four Things on Dana White’s Santa List
- UFC 140 Main Event Won’t Be Shogun/Hendo, But It Doesn’t Have To Be
Yesterday was probably one of the most enjoyable days we’ve ever had as a family. It wasn’t big and extravagant or grandiose in any way, but it was, instead, one of those rare days where you do a few things together as a family and you just feel great about it. You know everyone’s had a great time and just generally feel the love all around.
We started the morning with The Wiggle Bear’s weekly trip to The Little Gym. It was really fun… for about thirty of the forty-five minutes. After that first half-hour, Wiggles was ready to go. It’s becoming the norm for her lately. It’s not that The Little Gym is boring or the teachers aren’t engaging the kids (In fact, Miss Megan is probably one of the best example of this type of teacher. She’s amazing.) but our daughter seems to have a pretty short attention span and when she’s ready to do her thing, she gets pretty adamant about it. She digs those heels in and gets very independent… just like her Mommy.
After The Little Gym, however, the real fun began as we headed over to the Middlesex County Fair for some games, grub, and farm animals. We go every year, but this is probably the first year that we took The Wiggle Bear that she was actually old enough to enjoy herself. She seemed to have a good time the last few years, but she was really too young to get into the games and food. This year, though, she was shot out of a cannon. Her little head whipped left and right checking out all the prizes, rides, and ice cream booths.
So we traipsed around the fair for a few hours, won a few prizes, and had some great eats (well, the wife mostly… she loves her fair food!). The big prizes this year appeared to be The Smurfs. Stuffed Papa Smurf and Smurfette were hanging from nearly every game. How we ended up getting home without one is beyond me. Especially since Denise is usually a ringer at fair and boardwalk games. We came home with a couple cool prizes for Wiggles, but couldn’t manage to snag a Smurf.
The day was so hot and humid that, by the time we headed back to the car, we were all sweaty and tired. The Wiggle Bear had her ice cream cone (most of it ended up all over her little face) and we headed home where we watched Rio before Denise headed out with her friends for dinner and I put Wiggles to bed.
See what I mean? We didn’t do anything crazy or all that adventurous or wild, but it was a really fun day. I felt close to my two favorite girls and felt like they’d had just as good of a time as I had. It’s a day I’ll remember for quite a while. Check out some more of my pictures of the day below. If you want to see more, you can always find them on Facebook or www.scottshoots.com
Have you seen Susan Saladoff’s documentary Hot Coffee? Wow. I finally got around to watching it (I DVR’d it when it was on HBO the other night) and it’s both absolutely amazing and also completely infuriating (I guess as any good documentary should be). By the time the end credits started running, I was spitting mad and getting out paper and envelopes to write my senator, congressman, and anyone else who would listen.
Ok, ok. I calmed down and just wanted to make sure everyone knows how great the film is. If you think you know about all the “frivolous” lawsuits people bring against companies each yeah, you probably don’t know as much as you think. Watch the film. Trust me. If you have an iPhone or iPad (or even a PC or Mac), you can catch it on the HBO Go app (and probably OnDemand).
Check out the trailer below for a taste of the awesomeness:
I’m thrilled to announce that my new short story, Inked is NOW available on Amazon.com and BN.com for the low price of only $0.99!!
Here’s a look at the cover art.
If you have a Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac, or about a hundred other mobile devices, you can read any Inked. Below are the links to buy your copy!
- Inked on Amazon.com
- Inked on Amazon.co.uk
- Inked on BN.com
- Inked on Smashwords (Where you can get the file for Sony Reader, PDF, etc).
- It should appear on iBooks, Kobo, and other formats soon!
And, finally, if you want the official description for the short story here it is:
Jackie isn’t looking to find love in the back of a CVS, but sometimes you can’t predict where love will find you. A short story that is romantic, dramatic, and heartfelt, “Inked” will leave the reader with a lump in their throat asking what might be next for Jackie.
Inked is a 6,000 word short story.
That’s all! Be sure to grab your copy now!
Thanks again to everyone!!
We were putting together our year-end lists of favorite (and not so favorite) movies of 2010 for the Click Communications blog (my day job as a Publicist), so I decided to add a few more lists and re-post them over here. Hope you enjoy!
“If you ask me tomorrow, these rankings would probably change. There were so many good films this year!”
Overall Top 10 Favorite Films of 2010
- How to Train Your Dragon
- Black Swan
- Let Me In
- The Social Network
- Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
- The Town
- Easy A
Top 13 Films I’m Embarrassed to Say I Have Yet to See and Therefore Can’t Be Included in Any Other Lists
- True Grit
- Piranha 3D
- The Fighter
- 127 Hours
- Blue Valentine
- Enter the Void
- Never Let Me Go
- I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
- Paranormal Activity 2
- The Illusionist
Top 10 Favorite Horror Films of 2010
- Black Swan
- Let Me In
- The Crazies
- The Last Exorcism
- Shutter Island
- Best Worst Movie – It’s about a horror film, so that counts!
- [REC] 2
Top 6 Hour Long TV Series of 2010
- LOST – I don’t care what you say… The ending was perfect.
- Dexter – The best still-running show on TV.
- The Walking Dead – It has a lot to live up to in its second (longer) season.
- Glee – Brings a smile to my face every week.
- True Blood – Not its best season by far, but certainly better than the previous one.
- Huge – Such a shame this was cancelled.
Top 5 Favorite Documentaries of 2010
- Best Worst Movie
- Exit Through the Gift Shop
- Waking Sleeping Beauty
Top 5 Favorite Animated Films of 2010
- How to Train Your Dragon – As much as I love the next two films on the list, this one was just absolutely magical and perfect.
- Despicable Me
- Toy Story 3
- Shrek Forever After
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole
Top 5 Catalog Blu-ray Releases of 2010
- The Twilight Zone: Seasons 1 & 2
- Battle Royale: Limited Edition (Region Free)
- Back to the Future Trilogy
- The Exorcist
- Alien Anthology
- House of the Devil – Not a catalog release, but the Blu-ray was released in February while it premiered in ’09, so I’m including it!
Top 5 Criterion Collection Blu-ray Releases of 2010
- House (1977)
- Bigger Than Life – This was one of my Holy Grail releases. Finally!
- The Night of the Hunter
- The Red Shoes
Top 5 Films of 2010 That Surprised Me By How Much I Actually Enjoyed Them
- Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang (Retitled Nanny McPhee Returns for US release)
- She’s Out of My League
- Dear John – What can I say? I’m a sucker for Nicholas Sparks.
- Youth In Revolt
- Shrek Forever After
Top 5 Films of 2010 That Didn’t Live Up To Expectations
- Alice in Wonderland
- Daybreakers – I know a lot of horror fans loved this one, but I couldn’t get into it.
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
- The Wolfman
- Cop Out
Top 5 Films of 2010 That Will Never Share Shelf Space With My DVDs & Blu-rays
- Clash of the Titans
- Vampires Suck – I couldn’t even bring myself to see this and it makes the list.
- Edge of Darkness
- Robin Hood (2010)
Since the launch of Jimmy Stone’s Ghost Town on Amazon.com and BN.com, there have been numerous giveaways and contests go up around the Internet. I figured I’d do a quick post listing them all so that if anyone wants to win a copy, they can give it a shot!
Here are the current giveaways around the web:
- WeekInRewind.com = 3 Copies
- DreadCentral.com = 3 Copies
- Author Helen Smith’s Blog = 3 Copies
- TheIEMommy.com = 3 Copies
- ReadAHolic = 2 Copies
Stay tuned for even more giveaways in the next few days and, if you’re entering, good luck!